From: Ray Morris [mailto:supp...@bettercgi.com]
Sent: Friday, February 06, 2009 3:05 PM
To: modules-dev@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: Making mod_auth_digest mysql

> I'm thinking about adding a -e flag for environment
> variable does not exist to httpd on my server.
> It would return true if the variable exists
> or false, otherwise. Is there a way to already
> do this?

  For your purpose, you can use:
RewriteCond %{REMOTE_USER} !.
or as appropriate:
RewriteCond %{REMOTE_USER} .

That will check for any non-empty value
by matching at least any single character.

> It looks like: RewriteCond ${REMOTE_USER} !="" always
> evaluates to true if REMOTE_USER does not exist.
> Am I wrong?

  That's correct, if it doesn't exist, it's not
the empty string.  What's in that bucket on your
desk?  "There is no bucket" is a different answer
than "the bucket is empty".  Since you apparently
understand SQL, let me explain that by saying it's
the same thing as the difference between trying
to get the value of a column which doesn't exist,
which is an outright error, versus a column with
the value 0, versus a text column with empty
text (""), versus an unknown value, represented
by NULL.  Not existing isn't the same thing as
existing and being empty.
--
Ray B. Morris
supp...@bettercgi.com