I need to manage number of varying sized files in shared memory in my custom Apache module. Which would be more desirable, compatible, and efficient with the server: 1) create a max_size shared memory segment and manage my files inside of it. This would likely involve garbage collection and moving files around in shared memory as some go out and others come in. 2) create a separate shared memory segment for each file and manage the base addresses in another shared memory area. This sounds simpler. Is there a problem or much overhead with creating a number of shared memory segments? Is there a limit to the number I can create?

Also, is there a shared memory resize routine? I saw apr_shm_realloc_chunk() somewhere on the web but not in the main documentation.

Thanks