On 21 Jul 2009, at 13:44, Ben Davies wrote:

I've just found something that does pretty much what I want but with
mod_perl. For an example, see 13.5 in the following chapter (warning: link
is a PDF)

mod_perl just exposes the API to Perl programmers. Translate their example to C and it'll work without mod_perl. You want C, my book takes you through
developing a custom authentication/authorization handler.

If I understood your original question ("... conditional authentication ... if public access is granted"??) I could perhaps say something more specific.

--
Nick Kew