Sorry this reply took so long, I am in the middle of changing jobs.

Anyway,
WSGIApplicationGroup %{GLOBAL}
does not change the rough frequency with which I see the problems. I
only added that directive for the port 80 virtual host, while the 443
virtual host doesn't have it. Should I add it to both?

Thanks,
Alex