On 8 February 2011 01:47, octopusgrabbus <old_road_f...@verizon.net> wrote:
> Thank you. I've read that, and cannot get an answer as to how to re-
> install Python 2.6 to do this.

That documentation says:

"""If the first issue, the only solution to this problem is to
recompile Python for the X86 64 bit architecture. When doing this, it
is preferable, and may actually be necessary, to ensure that the
'--enable-shared' option is provided to the 'configure' script for
Python when it is being compiled and installed."""

In other words, rebuild from source code and ensure that
'--enable-shared' option is supplied to 'configure' script of Python
when installing it.

If you are not installing from source code and expect to install from
a binary package repository, then you will need to hassle the
maintainers of your particular operating system variant as to where
you can get a version of Python binary package which actually provides
a shared library for Python.

All recent Linux distributions provide a Python version with a shared
library. So you are either using a very old Linux distribution or
correspondingly old Python distribution for it.

Graham