The idea of collectstatic is that it gathers together static files from
multiple locations in the source tree from the project or any installed
applications. So that it copies things is as intended. You should never edit
static files in the directory where it copies them to. Always edit them in the
original directories and then run collectstatic again. Do not set STATIC_ROOT
to be an existing directory that you use as the source for static files. It
should be a separate directory only used at runtime.

You may want to have a read of what collectstatic does in the Django
documentation.

Graham