Hello Graham,

thanks for your tip. I set  the request-timeout to 30 seconds (well shorter
than Apache's patience), and lo and behold, the timeout errors have stopped
appearing in the logs altogether.

Now I'm wondering: Since the request-timeout parameter makes mod_wsgi
restart itself before Apache kills it from outside, is it possible that my
code gets stuck as before but the timeout isn't logged at all? I was hoping
that hitting mod_wsgi's request-timeout limit would trigger a meaningful
stack trace into the Apache logs. Or possibly my script just happened to
not hang since a couple of days ago (it did it about once per day before).

Best regards: **D