I´m not sure if I understand your workflow correctly but how about this:
for every row processed send a small JSON documents to the browser which
contains information on the worksheet, row and row status and then have
some JavaScript code in the browser assemble and update the correct HTML
table (inserting another row)?
I´d probably render a skeleton HTML page as response to the upload of the
Excel file, then start a new AJAX request from that page which triggers the
processing of the spreadsheet uploaded previously and receives the
processing status as "server-sent events" (cf.
http://www.w3.org/TR/eventsource/).

Heiko