perl -d script/my_app get /route/to/controller

Stepping through mojo code until it reaches your startup() method is tricky and time-consuming.
The best way to avoid all that is to add the line
$DB::single = 1;
inside your startup() method code. Then, once you run the debugger, just hit 'c' at the prompt
and it will break at that position.

Something worth considering, particularly if you are trying to debug controller code (or anything that happens in a route),
is that Mojo always runs your app in an Event loop, even in the debugger, which means that timeouts can happen (will definitely happen)
while you are pondering your code.
http://mojolicious.org/perldoc/Mojolicious/Guides/FAQ#What-does-Inactivity-timeout-mean
You can avoid this by setting MOJO_INACTIVITY_TIMEOUT=0 in your environment before starting the debugger.

Good Luck,
 Dotan