--On Thursday, August 24, 2006 14:54:05 -0500 Tim Carr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> - Would it be possible to just send one "everything is ok" trap for a
> new overall check?  Maybe a new monitor script that queries itself to
> see if there are any existing problems and will alert based off that?
> - I'd also continue to send an alert per service if a new service
> problem is detected.
> - On the corporate server, I'd setup only setup one service per store
> entry that would have the "traptimeout" monitor (to watch for the
> network outages) but still have a service entry for each server to catch
> any of the specific service outage traps that would be received.

One scenario I can envision that would work which may be what you're trying
to describe here is:
- Services at remote sites monitored at desired frequency (10s), traps sent
to corporate via alert/upalert, i.e. only during failures.
- On the real services do not configure an alertevery option, so traps are
resent every 10 seconds, in case the UDP packet is dropped.
- You probably would also want a startupalert configured here to set the
initial status to OK on the corporate server.
- Add one fake service that always returns an OK result, run it once per
minute and redistribute the status to corporate.  For this service only you
would want traptimeout configured at corporate.
- Possibly add monitoring of the remote sites from the corporate server,
including monitoring of Mon itself.

-David