On 13/12/06, David Nolan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> (lets keep the discussion on the list.... )

Sorry, my bad - I'm used to mailing lists where the reply-to is set to
the list. :)

> On 12/13/06, Aled Treharne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On 13/12/06, David Nolan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > If its a regular occurance you could configure an exclude period on the
> > > services, or configure the alert periods themselves to exclude that time
> > > frame.
> >
> > We have a similar problem, however the maintenance slots that we have
> > aren't regular (mainly because we montior some of our clients who host
> > with a variety of hosting providers).
>
> Are they regular *for that cilent*?

No. None of our clients or their hosting providers have  regular
maintenance. It's scheduled, but irregular.

> The best option in Mon right now for scheduled maintenance is to use
> either exclude_period or craft your period definitions carefully.  If
> I'm understanding you correctly Nagios provides a way to enter a
> one-time scheduled maintenance period via the interface?  I could see

That's right. We used it at my previous workplace - I haven't set it
up here. IIRC, you could enter a time window, add the appropriate
services and save a label for it too.

> adding that to Mon, but would you want it to be global, or would you
> need a way to restrict it to a subset of the hostgroups?

So long as it follows dependencies, I'd say hostgroups. That is, if
there's maintenance on the router at HostingProviderA, then we add the
HostingProviderA-rtr hostgroup to the maintenance slot, and mon also
ignore alerts from HostingProviderA-svr.

Does that make sense?

Cheers,
Aled.