You'd probably need 2 processes ; one to drive and another process to go
off and stat the mount point. The driver would invoke the stat'ers, and
if the stat doesn't come back in some seconds, declare the mount hung.
Because if the mount really is hung, the stat process is going to hang
forever too, so you don't want your driver process to get hung too.

--andrew