On 7/10/06, Zed Shaw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
ActionController::AbstractRequest.relative_url_root = "/myappliveshere". Amazingly enough, it's special-cased for Apache with FastCGI--if it spots dispatch.[f]cgi in the right environment variable, then it sets relative_url_root automatically. That's why it works with Apache most of the time :-). That's the magic I was missing this morning.
So, if you add relative_url_root to environment.rb (or $RELATIVE_URL_ROOT to the environment) to '/blog', then you can proxy from http://real-server:80/blog to http://localhost:4123/ (running Mongrel) and all of the generated URLs work. But, you won't be able to access the backend directly for debugging, because it'll be expecting urls that start at / and generating urls that start with /blog/.
I have a little patch that adds a --prefix flag to Mongrel that sets the Rails handler URI as well as relative_url_root. As I mentioned above, it's not strictly needed, but it'll make life a bit easier for people. Would this be something that you'd be interested in applying, or should I go tweak the Typo docs to explain it away?
Scott
I imagine previously that's what your apache config with fastcgi was
doing. There just isn't any other way to do it outside of rails. This
also means that your previous config was horribly inefficient.
Snoop around on the interwebs and google for this magic config. I'm
pretty sure I'm not crazy, but it's something like:
ActionController::AbstractRequest.relative_url_root = "/myappliveshere". Amazingly enough, it's special-cased for Apache with FastCGI--if it spots dispatch.[f]cgi in the right environment variable, then it sets relative_url_root automatically. That's why it works with Apache most of the time :-). That's the magic I was missing this morning.
So, if you add relative_url_root to environment.rb (or $RELATIVE_URL_ROOT to the environment) to '/blog', then you can proxy from http://real-server:80/blog to http://localhost:4123/ (running Mongrel) and all of the generated URLs work. But, you won't be able to access the backend directly for debugging, because it'll be expecting urls that start at / and generating urls that start with /blog/.
I have a little patch that adds a --prefix flag to Mongrel that sets the Rails handler URI as well as relative_url_root. As I mentioned above, it's not strictly needed, but it'll make life a bit easier for people. Would this be something that you'd be interested in applying, or should I go tweak the Typo docs to explain it away?
Scott
_______________________________________________ Mongrel-users mailing list [email protected] http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/mongrel-users
