On 3 Jan 2008, at 13:45, Evan Weaver wrote:

> Hello Mongrels,
>
> Building on the last messages about Fastthread, can we get a detailed
> survey of the different ways people are deploying their applications?
> It will help with near-future Mongrel development.
>
> Please include the following things:
>
> * Framework, if any (Camping, Merb, Rails, Nitro, Ramaze, IOWA,
> Rack...)

Rails mostly, some camping, some ramaze in the works.

> * Mongrel version

Latest, after security release.

> * Mongrel handlers used (rails, dirhandler, camping, cgiwrapper...)

Standard framework handlers, and a couple of nice Racks.

> * How many mongrel routes and handlers per route registered (if you
> don't know, it's probably <= 2)

Indeed.

> * Any Mongrel plugins used (mongrel_upload_progress, mongrel_gzip,
> mongrel_cow_cluster, mongrel_experimental...)

None to date.

> * Mongrel runners used (mongrel_rails, mongrel::cluster,
> mongrel_service, RV, others... please be *very specific* about which
> options of the runner you use. For example, some people use
> mongrel::cluster but only for the --clean functionality, not for the
> clustering).

Standard development runners (script/server) are used by most of our
devs. One server uses mongrel_rails + the Swiftiply patches for
evented mongrel.

> * Number of mongrels per server per app

Windows 2003 Server we setup via Apache on a quad core, with 10
mongrels for the best performance. I had numbers somewhere, but IIRC
it reached 4-8k req/s.
On FreeBSD and Debian, we're running nginx (and it's great), I don't
have performance numbers for these configurations, as we're more
focused on static file handling direct out of nginx there.

> * Monitoring system (runit, monit, god...)

Windows Services + a custom service wrapper.
djbs daemontools.

God is no good for us as it's not cross platform, same goes for monit.
daemontools falls in the same category, but it manages far more than
just webservers for us, and has been around for quite some time.

> * Proxy or software loadbalancer, if any (apache mod_proxy_balancer,
> nginx, pen...)

mod_proxy and nginx for the respective platforms, as noted above.

> * HW loadbalancer, if any (Netscaler...)

None required to date.

> * Caching strategy (memcached fragments, memcached object, squid,
> rails page cache, rails page fragments, ESI)

Memcached, large disk caches.

> * Whether you serve media assets via mongrel itself, as opposed to
> through a webserver

We've been doing very large numbers of small assets (think tiny
images), and nginx performs wonderfully at that.

> * Operating system including distribution or version (OS X 10.4.10,
> Ubuntu/Linux 7.10, WinXP SP2, OpenBSD 4.1...)

Production: Windows 2003 Server, FreeBSD, Debian, Solaris very briefly
(and no more).
Development: Debian, OS X, Windows XP SP2.

> * Architecture, via 'uname -a' preferably (x86, x86_64, Sparc, PPC,
> Arm (ha), JRuby)

To date, x86 across the board, although many of the machines are x64/
IA64 capable.

> * CPU count

In production, we have 7 CPUs out there. Largest is a quad core.

> * Ruby version including custom distribution patches,
> (1.8.6p110+threadhooks, 1.8.5, JRuby 1.1b1, Rubinius trunk... also
> note where you got it, in case it isn't clear, for example, OS X 10.5
> built-in, Ubuntu apt, Instant Rails, direct compile from source)

Mostly 1.8.6p110 as far as I know. Windows devs run the OCI.

> * Rubygems (yes/no, version)

yes, 0.9.4+

> Please mention anything else about your system that's kind of weird,
> and anything that's been particularly troublesome regarding mongrel
> deployment.

Honestly, Mongrel has been *the* easy bit, and you can quote me on
that should you so desire.