> From: mono-devel-list-boun...@lists.ximian.com [mailto:mono-devel-list-
> boun...@lists.ximian.com] On Behalf Of Martin Thwaites
>
> Just to give my2cents on this.
> I would just like to know that things will get looked at approved at some
> point.

Getting reviewed is one thing.  (Difficult enough.)  Getting approved is a
completely different thing - even more perilous.

Here's my example:

Mono SslStream, when used as a server, is simply incompatible with mono
SslStream when used as a client.  Mono clients can talk to windows servers, and
windows servers can talk to mono clients, and windows clients can talk to
windows servers.  The only incompatibility is Mono server & Mono client.

There was a bug report.  It was marked as fixed, and closed, even though it
wasn't fixed (obviously nobody tested, or didn't care that the test failed or
something).  I dug into it, patched it, submitted pull request, and we are now
shipping product that requires customers to install our customized version of
mono.  We are paying Xamarin customers.  For months, I tried to get attention
amongst mono developers to review the pull request, and then -

After I finally made enough noise, what happened was this:  Patch was reviewed
and rejected.  Period.  No discussion, no attempt to create a new fix, no
nothing.  It was the effective equivalent of telling me to shut up and go away.
 (That happened like 3 weeks ago or so).

I am obviously left feeling extremely jaded.  I know for damn sure I'm not
going to bother submitting any patches any time soon, and I have to restrain
myself every time I hear other people on this list thinking they're going to
submit patches or help improve mono.  Cuz I don't want to be the guy who just
bitches and complains all the time.  I remain hopeful this can change someday,
but I'm pretty badly burned at the moment.