Am 28.04.2010 02:00, schrieb Timothy Brownawell:
> On 04/27/2010 06:54 PM, Zack Weinberg wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 4:42 PM, Timothy
>> Brownawell<tbrow...@prjek.net>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Is the occasional backslash really that bad? '%' conflicts with
>>> urlencoding
>>> (and '*' would only actually glob things if you have some really weirdly
>>> named files), and '?' is probably necessary for file/ssh sync.
>>
>> I think it's more important to avoid characters that are meaningful in
>> URLs (*especially* %) than to avoid characters that are meaningful to
>> the shell.  People expect to have to quote URLs.  Also, I don't like /
>> as a separator when it's not traversing a directory-like hierarchy.
>
> Huh, hadn't really considered the "overloading '/'" aspect. It does seem
> slightly bad now that you mention it.
>
>> So, how about this?
>>

>> protocol://u...@server.host.name/path/to/database?include,include,-exclude,-exclude
>>

> +1

+1/2 - this is similar to my last proposal (with ":" as separators, but
I'd accept "," as well) - but the mandatory "?" still strikes me. Do you
see any way to avoid "?" for the 90% use case (sync a single branch
without wildcards from / to a remote database)?

Thomas.

--
GPG-Key 0x160D1092 | tommyd3...@jabber.ccc.de | http://thomaskeller.biz