On 04/06/2016 05:44 AM, J Decker wrote:
> encode into utf8 codepoints maybe?  which would expand 0x80-0xFF by 1
> character each... and you could violate utf rules and encode a F880
> that's a 0 codepoint...

You mean for hashes? Hm.. that's an interesting idea, which might get us
a whole new encoding. However, I don't quite think we can use Unicode
there, but should really stick to ASCII.

Even base64 is a bad idea, because it contains '/' and '+' chars, which
are usually treated as separators. But you don't want revision ids to
word-wrap.

With these restrictions, base58 is about as space efficient as you can get.

Kind Regards

Markus Wanner