Yes.

1. right click your project, select "Options" menu
2. go to "iPhone Build Options", select "Avanced" tab
3. click "Use LLVM optimizinf compiler" checkbox
4. select ARMv7 in the combobox
5. (optionallly) click "Use Thumb-2..." to get smaller binaries (at the expense
of some performance).

I do not think fat binairies affects (much) the memory footprint (measure,
measure, measure ;-) - but it sure won't double it.

Sebastien