downloading a photo (or anything) is easy - just do it the same way you
would in standard .NET - using a WebClient or other similar approach

you can't overwrite embedded content in your app - but you can save the
downloaded files in a folder, and then have your app check if new content
is available, then download and display them, otherwise display the ones
embedded in the app