----- Original Message ----

[citation
> needed]

When I was in University, admittedly a few years ago now,
> Post
Modernism and one of it's tools Deconstructionism was very much
> the
rage. In the years since I have left university I haven't seen
> these
bad connotations. Do you have references?

As someone with an undergraduate degree in literature and philosophy I tend to
agree.  However "post modern' has a pretty nebulous definition.  For example
deconstructionism, which tends to fall under the PM umbrella, does provoke
strong reactions amongst many philosophers (including myself).  However
deconstructionism != post modernism.

I think the core concepts of post modernism tend to include ideas like mixing
over pure, inversion of hierarchies, etc and for that I think it works for
Moose.  At this point the  catchphrase 'postmodern OO' is well established even
if misunderstood.

I think 'Post' is also good because it implies we are moving beyond something,
presumably a lot of the cruft which lead Perl to have such a terrible imagine.
For me I can't see changing this is going to help us, although I appreciate
your thinking through the social perception issue. Certainly I believe this is
something the Perl community does need to pay attention to

john

>On the other hand
> saying that Moose is a *modern* Object System
> will normally immediately
> give people the right idea.
>
> I know that it's cute to call Moose
> the "post-modern OOP system" but it may
> either make people wonder what
> the hell we mean, or may even give the wrong
> impression, so I suggest we
> drop it.

One of the few popular posts in my blog explained this in
> detail. I
refer you to
> http://chris.prather.org/why-moose-is-post-modern.md.html.
Do you have
> evidence that it *is* making people wonder what the hell
we mean?

> I don't mind working on the patch to the site and to
> href="http://Moose.pm";>Moose.pm to change all
> "post-modern"'s to
> "modern"'s, but I'd like to know it would be accepted
> first.

> for one like the Post-Modern epithet. Trying to suggest a package
named Moose
> will somehow seem more serious by changing "post modern"
to "modern" is I
> think ridiculous. In four years I have only felt the
need to defend the "Post
> Modern" description once (last April), and
that was because the people
> questioning Moose had (what I felt was) a
misunderstanding of the concept of
> Post Modernity[1].

Ultimately if people are objecting to Moose because it
> claims to be
Post Modern, they have deeper issues, and probably need to
> seek
professional help.

-Chris

[1] I honestly shouldn't have