Hi Toochis:

In fairness, the hatred between Frank Rich and Mel Gibson is mutual, and it
started when Rich accused Gibson of anti-semitism and brought Mel's father
into the discussion as a Holocaust-denier.  It escalated when Gibson made a
death threat against Rich in an interview w/the New Yorker.

But as far as Clint getting nominated for Best Actor -- I was also happy.
Though everyone says Jamie Foxx is a "slam dunk" in this category, it's nice
to see Clint get nominated because in "Million Dollar Baby," it's the first
time I've seen Clint showing a decent amount of range.

Clint reminds me of those great actors who always play themselves and
audiences don't care.  John Wayne always played John Wayne, Woody Allen
always plays Woody Allen and Cary Grant, the best example, always played
Cary Grant.  Of the three, Cary Grant NEVER won an Oscar except a special
statue long after he retired.

Clint always plays Clint and we don't care.  But in "Baby," his acting had
my wife in tears.  He's tremendous; and in any other year, he might be the
favorite to win an acting Oscar.  But who knows?  Clint already has 2
statues for "Unforgiven" (and I like "Million Dollar Baby" a lot more), and
John Wayne had to wait until 1970, 8 years before his death, when he won
Best Actor for 1969's "True Grit."

The huge difference is that Clint has proven himself a great artist, perhaps
underrated, as an independent producer dating back to the early 1970s with
his still running Malpaso company.  I love the guy even though he's going up
against another maverick I adore, Martin Scorcese.  The problem with
Scorcese and Oscar is his material is rarely mainstream.  And if and when
Scorcese wins, I want it to be because of merit, not sentiment.  It still
pains me that Al Pacino got his Oscar, for example, for "Scent of a Woman,"
and not for his Godfather pictures, Serpico or Dog Day Afternoon.  I can't
even watch Pacino in that film, anymore than I can watch Dustin Hoffman in
"Rain Man."  (Though Dustin was the best thing in "Meet the Fockers;" he'll
always find work.)

Anyway, more than anyone wanted to hear from me; sorry; it's been a while.

-d.