Dario:
Thanks for your tips and your valuable opinions. i remember that you shared 
with us on the MoPo list some photos of your wonderful collection of 40x60's. I 
am particularly moved by your exhortation toward conservation,  not 
restoration. I collect mainly paper from movies of the '30, 40's and '50s and i 
have always believed that my best posters should be carefully cleaned and 
linen-backed by professionals with an eye on conservation. i try not to use too 
much paint, or to buy posters with paper missing from the main image. 
sometimes, of course, there is paper missing from corners or nips in the edges 
and i like to have that repaired. my goal is to prevent further damage, esp. to 
posters that I haven't framed. I'm sure that too much folding and unfolding (to 
look at them and admire them once in a while, or to show them off to friends) 
damages the poster.
I notice, though, that many people prefer not to have their posters restored or 
linen-backed. For some people, this appears to lessen their value...as though 
they had been "tampered with". i can see this if the poster had to have a lot 
of paint but in general i find this a position that I have some difficulty 
accepting.I wonder how other MoPoers feel abgout this. And ,is there a 
diffenece in attitude between collectors and dealers on this subject?
Just curious.
 Best regards,
  Richard in LA
Richard Del Belso


Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 16:34:17 -0700From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]: Re: [MOPO] 
Option's In Regard's To Restoring 40" x 60"s?To: [email protected]
Ha Ha ... I appreciate the humor.I also appreciate The simple " Thank you" see 
I get questions every week from collectors about small things they can do, some 
say " Thank you" and some don't even bother to reply, after spending time to 
help them out. I find that a tad rude.So now I will challenge you to join NSFG, 
in fact I dear you!!  So in my books you have no choice, and I am quite sure it 
would be a welcoming surprise for all of us.Danny, I'm hoping with time, most 
collectors will think " conservation" before" Restoration" and your post 
explained it very well. Goal # 1, Save the poster, treat it to a nice pH bath 
and wash and conservation back it.  So what if the poster didn't turn out 
perfect due to heavy wear, at least it is now preserved for the future and 
protected from further damage.A movie poster is a Poster is a Poster is a 
Poster.Best to all,[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Thank's Dario!!!
 
I think I am just going to try to live with the imperfections. I bought a great 
40" x 60" from "'The Abominable Dr. Phibes" which is my favorite Vincent Price 
movie. Yes, it does have some bumps and crinkles. Mostly in the border. I also 
bought a 40" x 60" from "The Towering Inferno" as a companion piece to my 40" x 
60" from "The Poseidon Adventure". More money could be put into these but maybe 
the flaws add some character to the posters. 
 
I would join NSFGE because I do like Phil Edwards. He has been extremely 
thoughtful to me when I purchased in the past. Ari is a super guy as well. But 
if I mention the title "Thunderball" over there I will be lynched. 
"Thunderball" and "From Russia With Love" are probably equal as favorites in 
the Bond series to me. Both incorporate the great 007 theme that I like so 
much. I like Terence Young as director.
 
Thank's Again Dario and....tell those collector's over at NSFGE not to pick on 
a Thunderball obsessive.:)
 
All The Best,
 
--Tom  


AOL now offers free email to everyone. Find out more about what's free from AOL 
at AOL.com. 
Visit the MoPo Mailing List Web Site at www.filmfan.com
___________________________________________________________________
How to UNSUBSCRIBE from the MoPo Mailing List

Send a message addressed to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
In the BODY of your message type: SIGNOFF MOPO-L

The author of this message is solely responsible for its content.

         Visit the MoPo Mailing List Web Site at www.filmfan.com
   ___________________________________________________________________
              How to UNSUBSCRIBE from the MoPo Mailing List
                                    
       Send a message addressed to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
            In the BODY of your message type: SIGNOFF MOPO-L
                                    
    The author of this message is solely responsible for its content.

Reply via email to