Wait unitl the "investment boys" get going with "slabbing" (first lobby
cards, eventually everything).

Then condition won't just be important, it will be the ONLY thing they care
about (a pure mint "unrestored" card from a crappy 1940s movie will likely
sell for more than a "fair" condition restored Casablanca card)!

Don't laugh, because they have successfully done it in other hobbies, and
those with a real love of the items slowly leave the hobby and are slowly
replaced by "investment types" (with no love of what they are buying, just
buying because they are told they are "good investments).

35 years ago, when these guys came into the comic book hobby and pretty much
ruined it, a good friend of mine named Joe Brancatelli wrote a great article
that pretty much nailed how it was ruining the hobby for those who really
loved the comics themselves. He described how at comic book conventions,
collectors *USED* to gather together and discuss their favorite comics and
the stories they contained, and how now "investors" would gather together
and discuss "pricing trends".

He concluded by facetiously saying that he passed by a group of "investors"
and watched as one of them dropped some ketchup from his cheeseburger onto
one of his purchases (this was in the pre-slabbing days). He said that true
collectors would have been greatly saddened to have a precious comic
stained, but that the investor merely opened his trusty price guide and
turned to the section on "stains" to see how much less his "investment" was
worth!

I think this hobby may be pretty unrecognizable in 10 years, especially once
many of those with true love of the paper have exited (either out of
disgust, or because they have passed on).

Bruce