In the 70's there were a huge amount of those theaters and peep  shows in
that area.  This went from 8th Ave to 6th Ave and from 40th St to  50th St.
There were also a huge amount of street walkers hanging around  all the
theaters and they were very dangerous if you were not polite.  I  remember when
one man was approached and instead of saying "no thanks"  called her a
whore.  She stabbed him right in broad  daylight.

In my college years I went to a theater on 86th St. where they  only showed
films in German.  I used to go on Fridays when classes ended  early.  86th
St.  was known as Germantown.  We went to a  famous German restaurant there
when I graduated from law school.  I don't  recall the name.  The real
estate boom also killed the area and the  developers moved in.  Today it hardly
exists.  This is a part of town  that I really miss.

Claude

In a message dated 6/20/2009 9:21:22 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,