I can't remember what 1930s movie showed this practice

you know what folks.. reminiscing can be fun!!!

Rich

At 12:43 PM 6/20/2009, Roland Lataille wrote:
Hey,

I remember going to a restaurant and you put coins in a slot, opened the little glass door and took out a sandwich or a piece of cake. What were those called?

--- On Sat, 6/20/09, Richard Halegua Comic Art <sa...@comic-art.com> wrote:

From: Richard Halegua Comic Art <sa...@comic-art.com>
Subject: Re: [MOPO] NEW YORK THEATERS
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Date: Saturday, June 20, 2009, 3:18 PM

Times Square was one of the most interesting places on Earth for many years.

I always liked it because it was an anachronism of life..

in the winter a limousine could be dropping off a guy in $1000 tailored suit with a fur-coated babe on each arm and they might have to step over a homeless guy sleeping on the subway grating (warm air comes up through the gratings), there would be a couple society ladies headed up to Broadway to see a play and then a couple hookers rousting a guy while a couple dopers would be buying from a pusher. Every kind of person you could imagine was standing on that street trying to make plans

One of the most obvious places was a pinball & later video game parlor called Fascination and Melody Burlesque was down the street. There were several theatres showing Kung-Fu flicks and to this day I have never been able to find a copy of one of my favorites - Mad Monkey Kung-Fu. I remember seeing it on a double bill with the 12 Drunken Masters

In front of some of the theatres were hawkers trying to get you in and there was the porno bookstore on ground level that had the private booths upstairs. All the babes would be advertising to get you to walk into "their booth" for a show. I remember running into a comic book dealer friend up there once and even though he was a buddy, he was so embarassed he left almost immediately

There was a Howard Johnsons and if I remember correctly Dempsey's too. I think Dempseys had a sign that told you how great their pie was and there was a Nathan's hot dogs joint. I was surprised on more than one occasion to see Carol Channing, Walter Cronkite (Walter is about to take his last breath folks) or other actors there. Once - and this would be specifically be 1978 because of the girlfriend I was with - we were having milkshakes and Will Geer sat down at our table (Nathan's had those long 16 people tables). I asked him for his autograph and he said "Sure. Just let me finish my hot dog".

I know I had seen teh flea circus that Richard Del Belso mentioned, but I was pretty young. Maybe 5-6, so I don't recall any of it

sadly, all of this is gone now.. Left in our collective memories which will also be gone to the black hole at some point and all that will remain will be pictures.

I lived in Queens and the theatre I most often went to as a kid & young teen was the Lefferts Theatre on Lefferts Boulevard and 120th street. I remember seeing a double bill Hard Day's Night & HELP! in 1965. I was with my 2 brothers (I was 8, my brothers 10 & 11). Before the movie they had the Dave Clark 5 short, Manfred Mann and some others and outside they had scads of posters including the billboard on the side of the building that was 120th st. The Beatles heads were enormous. They also had freebies like a beatles wig and stuff. It was a big weekend and the theatre was jam packed and if I remember correctly, it was just 75 cents!! We were there all day long. Nobody chased us out after the first feature. Not too long ago I was able to score the Dave Clark 5 1sh that was displayed. The theatre was great - they had stills and posters and lobby cards all over the outside and on the inside too.

the Lefferts was a fun theatre too. Saturdays always had matinees and they may have been just a quarter. Always a double bill, cartoons, in the mid-60s they showed the Superman, Batman, Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers serials - one episode of Batman and Supe or later Flash & Buck each week and you got a little wallet card they would punch out. If you saw episodes 1-11, you got to see episode 12 for free (I guess that meant we got in free that week period)

across the street and down a block or so was Uncle Jack's toy shop. I bought all the Aurora monster kits there and the old man was as nice as anyone you could meet. If he didn't have the toy or model you wanted, he would order it for you for a 10 cent deposit and seeing as he didn't have the Bride of Frankenstein model kit in stock, I ordered that one. Sometime in the late 60s I remember the shop was closed for a few days because a couple junkies had robbed & beaten him

also, Bruce is right.. at 8-9-10-11, we used to get on the subway by ourselves and go all the way to Manhattan. When I was 9 I took the trains all the way up to the Bronx - by myself - with $100 cash that I had made selling comics - to go to a guy's house who was a friend of Gary Dolgoff so I could buy early Marvels. I came back - again, all by myself - with 2 shopping bags full of comics. I don't think anyone bothered me. I also used to take the trains regularly at that age to go to the Museum of Natural History on 79th street in Manhattan because I was in love with dinosaurs and they had the best exhibit of fossils and the rooms with live lizards were totally kick-ass.

NYC was lots of fun back in those days, but I haven't been back since 1992 or 93, even though I've been planning on going for a visit for some years. The first place I'm going to head to os Katz's Delicatessen on Houston St and have some corn beef, some of their hand made hotdogs and a potato kanish

Rich