I would like to make one or two comments on the subject of gun shop owner
analogy.

I have no personal knowledge of the facts pertaining to this case nor do I know
any of the players (save that, before I became aware of these proceedings,
Jaimie Mendez carried out some restoration for me with which I was entirely
satisfied).

As a collector and enthusiast I am saddened that fellow collectors and others
have suffered financial loss and that our hobby has been damaged by the events
under discussion.

I defer to the far superior knowledge of those who have posted to date but I do
not find Jaimie being compared to a gun shop owner selling a weapon to a mass
murderer to be a sensible or logical analogy. In a country in which the sale of
weapons is legal,  a gun shop owner should clearly not be responsible for the
actions of his customers once they have purchased an item from the gun shop,
any more than a car salesman should be responsible for selling a car, even if
it were to a convicted drunk driver who then re-offends and causes the death of
a pedestrian.

However selling guns, or cars, is the day to day activity of the imaginary
people we are talking about. 'Selling' the kind of 'copies' that it is widely
reported that Jaimie made (for selling them is what he did in terms of this
analogy) is not a day to day activity for a restorer. A better analogy would be
to comapre him to the gunsmith in the Day of the Jackal who made the gun which
could be concealed in a crutch. It is difficult to conceive that this gunsmith
could be defended in the way that Jaimie is. Presumably that is why the Jackal
did not visit an ordinary gun shop to have the weapon made!

Nick Lykiardopulo