BTW I love 2001.  I saw it on TV when I was a kid and was riveted and haunted.
When I saw it on the large screen a couple of years ago, I was blown away.

Toochis

________________________________
From: David Kusumoto <davidmkusum...@hotmail.com>
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Sent: Sat, March 5, 2011 7:01:33 PM
Subject: [MOPO] 2001 - "WE HAVE A F______ HIT!  I KID YOU NOT.  GOD-D___, IT'S
HIT!"

 * Almost one year ago, Freeman Fisher posted a "you had to be there" essay on
MoPo about MGM's apoplectic and suicidal reaction to "2001" after it bombed in
previews.  I thought his essay was so brilliant in content and appeal that I
saved it.

* To me, that we're still arguing about "2001's" merits more than 40 years
later
is relevant because it means the film is too controversial and/or compelling to
be forgotten.  On March 21, 2010, I remarked "again" that excepting sci-fi and
comic book chick-nerds, not a single woman I know loves "2001."  And to me, the
gender gap issue is relevant to the film's appeal.

* Earlier that same day, some incredulous MoPo members griped about a "2001"
style B re-issue half-sheet selling at auction for $2,000.  "Why?," some
members
asked.  "Was the winning bidder out of his mind with more dollars than sense?"

* In response, Freeman posted a back-story to MoPo about MGM's expectations for
"2001," closing with a single line referencing the aforementioned poster.  The
highlight of Freeman's story is a quote from a previously downcast MGM
publicist
named Ted Hatfield, who, during a later screening before a paying audience,
turned suddenly euphoric, screaming into a phone to MGM brass, "WE HAVE A
FUCKING HIT!  I KID YOU NOT. WE HAVE A FUCKING HIT!  GODDAMN IT'S A HIT...."

* You can read it below, copy-and-pasted in full. – d.