Actually the audience skewed younger and they enjoyed it thoroughly.  I thought
it was a universal story that appealed to many.

________________________________
From: David Kusumoto <davidmkusum...@hotmail.com>
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Sent: Sat, January 21, 2012 3:10:19 PM
Subject: Re: [MOPO] RECOMMENDED: HUGO

Though I wouldn't see "War Horse" again (that one of my tests, whether a
picture
has "replay" value for me) - I thought "The Rise of the Planet of the Apes" was
BRILLIANT.  For once we got a realistic-looking "Apes" picture that EXPLAINS
EVERYTHING - right up to the original 1968 classic.  Though it's not clear
where
this picture is going as you're watching it, (is it about scientific
experiments?  is it about man's inhumanity to apes?  is it about a cure for
Alzheimers?) - by the end credits, just like the 1968 version - there is a
super
surprise ending whereby the audience finally learns how man became instinct,
how
the apes took over the planet, and why the "Mars-bound" astronauts in the 1968
movie (though they're not depicted) missed so much upon their return to Earth.
About one minute into the END CREDITS, all is revealed.  I feel sorry for the
poor schmoes who raced out of the theater to beat the traffic out of the
parking
lot.  Alas, I also wondered if this 2011 picture resonated more with baby
boomers who loved the '68 movie - than with younger audiences w/no reference
point to understand why the ending was so powerful in both pictures. -d.