Ray Bradbury was a great author.  I enjoyed his books very much.

One thing for sure, we have some very interesting people as members on MOPO.
JW

________________________________
From: Susan Heim <filmfantast...@msn.com>
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Sent: Thursday, June 7, 2012 3:09 PM
Subject: Re: [MOPO] Ray Bradbury, A Remembrance

     What a great story Rick.....When I was a freshman in college at UC San
Diego in 1972, I was part of a college council that organized events for the
school. We had a meeting one night and it was suggested that we have some
speakers come to the school. Most of the people that were suggested were either
locals or college admiinistrators or professors known for some invention or
theory. Being 18 and not knowing any better, I suggested Ray Bradbuy, to which
everyone chuckled at me.  Basically the message was "good luck with that".  So,
I talked to everyone that I could think of about how to get to him and somehow
made my way to his manager or a friend of his manager or a secretary or
someone. Anyway, I told my story and wondered if Mr. Bradbury ever attended
colleges to speak. They said they would get back to me. One night, late, as
I was fretting over some test the next day, the phone rang in my dorm and it
was him, Mr. Bradbury himself and
 said he would love to come down to San Diego and "chat" with us. When I went
to tell all the other people on the council, most of them all older than me,
they didn't believe me at first until I provided his phone number for them to
check.

      So........I made the flight arrangements and picked him up at the airport
and we had a great talk all the way back. In fact, I probably didn't shut up
the whole half hour from the airport to the college. He was so wonderful and it
was one of the highlights of my life meeting him. About 10 years ago I was
at LAX taking my in-laws to the airport for a flight back to Floriday and there
he sat, all alone. He was, of course, so much older and had a cane now, but I
knew it was him. I hesitated to go up and say  hello, but I just had to. I
reminded him of how  nice he had been to "accept" my invitation to school to
speak and he said he remembered that event. I didn't know if he was just saying
that to be nice, but then when he said that he remembered I had an awful lot to
say in those days and how had all my things worked out,  I knew he truly did
remember.  I told him not much had changed, I still have alot to say all the
time!!

     I have a customer that has been very close friends with him since
childhood and she use to send me movie posters to have restored and sent to him
as gifts.  It was such a treat framing them up knowing that they were going to
be his. When I saw the news come across yesterday, I was so saddened, but what
a great life he had and all the gifts he left us.

Sue
www.hollywoodposterframes.com