Bill Gaines told me the same story years ago. Actually, they combined
TWO of Ray's stories into one, and Ray wrote Bill, and said that he
felt they improved on them by combining them together, but that he
must have forgotten to send a check.

Bill told me he wrote back and asked Ray if he would take $25 per
adapted story, and Ray graciously accepted, and many of the rest of
their issues had adapted stories with a large credit to Ray on the
cover of each, and Bill sent him a check each time..

Of course, soon after EC was shut down by the Senate hearings
(supposedly to save the world's youth, but actually because tiny EC
and Lev Gleason were massively outselling DC and Timely, the giants of
the business).

--
our auctions <http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html>