Being a songwriter (lyricist) myself---and having written dozens of
country songs, mostly in the early 90's---the use of imperfect rhymes in  every
contemporary Country song is a true pet peeve of  mine. The current Country
music songwriters go out of their way to make every  single rhyme an imperfect
one---ie: rhyming "back" with "that" or "pit" with  "this".  Hey, if this
occurred occasionally or even semi-frequently, it  wouldn't bother me so
much...but nowadays it's always the  case...always. And I'm not alone in
feeling
the way I  do. Years ago, the legendary lyricist Sammy Cahn said it was his
personal  pet peeve as well...and that was decades before contemporary
Country music  started thoroughly dumbing-down the songwriting process. A few
years ago, I met  the great songwriter Paul Williams at a friend's Christmas
party and we got into  a long conversation about this subject...and he agreed
with me completely.
   In Country music as well as Pop music, these days more often  than not
songs are "cloned"---somebody has a monster hit, causing songwriters to
scramble in an effort to write a song that's just close  enough to the hit
where
they won't get their asses sued for  plagiarism. I'm sure this same type of
practice takes place all the time in the  TV and movie industries as well.
I think Country music had a renaissance  of sorts in the late 80's and
early 90's and has gone downhill ever since. Just  my two cents, whatever
that's
worth...
                                                                Rick

In a message dated 6/9/2012 8:57:27 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,