I've just released an album of show tunes played on my ukulele.

-----Original Message-----
From: MoPo List [mailto:mopo-l@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU] On Behalf Of Freeman
Fisher
Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 1:35 PM
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Subject: Re: [MOPO] OT The State Of Country Music (Sorry, Diana and Morrie)

And in other music news today, Kirby McDaniel will be releasing his latest
collection of vintage German Polkas recorded on the sidewalk on 6th Street
in Austin. The cover art will be his favorite barstool made of bull horns
and deer antlers.

On Jun 12, 2012, at 10:22 AM, Helmut Hamm wrote:

> I'm a HUGE country music fan, and if you look outside of Nashville,
> there's still a fair number of absolutely outstanding acts to be
> discovered...
>
> Here's an album I recorded and released on my (meanwhile retired)
> record label in 2007:
>
> http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/billydonburns
>
> The recordings were made in my living room, and that's my sofa on the
> cover. Billy Don Burns is an outlaw, a rebel, an addict and utterly crazy,
but it's guys like him who still keep the spirit of REAL country alive.

> If you look into his biography, Billy Don has been all over the place,
> Willie Nelson recorded one of this songs, his co-operation with Hank
> Cochran actually kicked Johnny Cash's UNCHAINED off the #1 position in
> Gavin's Americana album charts in 1996, and today he COULD be one of
> the great names in country music, yet he managed to screw it all up,
> and as it is, hardly anybody outside the professional crowd even
> remembers his name.
>
> To quote another one of my country music heroes, David Allan Coe: 'If
> that ain't country, you can kiss my ass!'
>
> Helmut
>

> Am 09.06.2012 um 18:36 schrieb Rix Posterz:
>
>> Being a songwriter (lyricist) myself---and having written dozens of
country songs, mostly in the early 90's---the use of imperfect rhymes in
every contemporary Country song is a true pet peeve of mine. The current
Country music songwriters go out of their way to make every single rhyme an
imperfect one---ie: rhyming "back" with "that" or "pit" with "this".  Hey,
if this occurred occasionally or even semi-frequently, it wouldn't bother me
so much...but nowadays it's always the case...always. And I'm not alone in
feeling the way I do. Years ago, the legendary lyricist Sammy Cahn said it
was his personal pet peeve as well...and that was decades before
contemporary Country music started thoroughly dumbing-down the songwriting
process. A few years ago, I met the great songwriter Paul Williams at a
friend's Christmas party and we got into a long conversation about this
subject...and he agreed with me completely.
>>    In Country music as well as Pop music, these days more often than not
songs are "cloned"---somebody has a monster hit, causing songwriters to
scramble in an effort to write a song that's just close enough to the hit
where they won't get their asses sued for plagiarism. I'm sure this same
type of practice takes place all the time in the TV and movie industries as
well.  I think Country music had a renaissance of sorts in the late 80's and
early 90's and has gone downhill ever since. Just my two cents, whatever
that's worth...