There is plenty of retailers out there who will value add a sale just to make the sale so why can't the web designer? Some do some don't, but don't lump every web designer in the same category, that's like saying all lawyers chase ambulances or all real estate agents don't have their client's best interest at heart - I've talked many a client out of spending excess money on fru-fru just because they saw it on another website and it looked 'cool', there's plenty of others out there that do too.

I think what a lot of business owners get caught up in is how 'special' their products are, I understand how passionate one can be about the product but at the end of the day it's a commodity you want to sell. The basic of marketing a consumer product is not that different between products, create a desire, fulfil that desire. A website is just a means to an end and if a good website will help enhance the desire and the experience then one should do it properly.

My comments are not about any one website nor are they just about the poster business per se, it's simply some general thoughts based on years of experience, however I am willing to bet there'd be a lot of people out there who can say their sales growth was worth the investment because they did listen to their ad agency, or marketing company and/or web designer.

Bruce Hershenson did previously state on 2/01/2014 12:28 PM:
There is a lot of wonderful advice here (and I have seen two websites David designed up close and they are excellent), but I would add one more point:

*The website designer and you have very similar interests, but they are not exactly the same. The more they sell you on, the more they make. And while they may know a lot more about the Internet than you do, they don't necessarily know more about your business than *YOU *do, so bear that in mind!

I can only wonder how much my annual sales would currently be if I had taken the advice of every website designer I hired or talked to over the years (some of whom have moved on to other professions).