As some of you know, I'm a professional musician, one who came up in the
Sixties and experienced the amazing musical and cultural upheaval that period
cultivated. I've watched as many of my heroes and, without name dropping...Paul
McCartney told me I must NEVER name drop..., my friends have inevitably reached
the last stop on the world tour. I never knew Bowie, outside of a chance
encounter in Central Park. He was on a bench, disguised; I recognized him by
his mismatched eyes. I respected his moment of well-deserved privacy and walked
back to my hotel room. I also worked for a few months with the bassist who
played on the "Let's Dance" album who had nothing but great things to say about
Bowie. (And not-so-good things to say about Rod Stewart. Meow!)
I thought I was inoculated to obituaries at this point until my wife played the
Bing Crosby/David Bowie rendition of "Little Drummer Boy". I lost it. A
remarkable talent who was brave enough to push the boundaries and take huge
chances. I don't believe in heaven or hell but I'm going to learn the guitar
part to "Fame" just in case. I 'm going to need some gigs in the afterlife
should it exist.
R.I.P., David.
Greg Douglass

Greg Douglass