From: MoPo List <mopo-l@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU> on behalf of Alan Heimann
<alanheim...@gmail.com>
Sent: Saturday, April 8, 2023 5:42 PM
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU <MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU>
Subject: Re: WB throwing away thousands of movie posters

Greg this is a great read and wonderful piece of movie poster history on a
personal level.

On Sat, Apr 8, 2023 at 5:41 PM Greg Douglass
<pickmeis...@mail.com<mailto:pickmeis...@mail.com>> wrote:

On the other hand:

I had a dear friend named Chuck Vergara who lived in Fairfax, CA. He owned a
local restaurant that was decorated with as many movie posters as he could fit,
mostly 20s & 30s titles. "They're just so damned pretty!" he would enthuse to
me on a regular basis. (My fascination with 50s horror/sci-fi eluded him.)
Chuck was driving his station wagon back in the late 70s on Market St. in San
Francisco. He saw some sort of activity going on at one of the many
triple-feature low-rent theaters there. The theater owner was tossing an
immense number of posters dating back to the 1930s. Chuck asked if he could
grab a few.
A couple of hours later, the suspension system in that station wagon was being
sorely tested by the massive weight of as many posters as it would hold. He
opened up a small poster store in one of his properties in town. I'd stop by
often to talk posters with Chuck (face it, guys; everyone else thinks we're
nuts for urinating away thousands of dollars on pieces of paper. Chuck was
simpatico.) I'd pick up a few titles; an 8-card set for "Some Like it Hot" for
30 bucks, a "She Creature" half sheet for $15. It was a tiny piece of heaven.

Years later, he called me to tell me he was liquidating has collection of
paper. He gave me first crack at everything. This was right at the beginning of
eBay so the timing was impeccable. He had contacts at Lucasfilm so there was a
hefty pile of mint Star Wars stuff. The prices were dictated by him. I picked
up a "Jaws" one sheet and asked "How much?" "Gimme a buck", he shrugged. I
argued with him; "We both know it's worth more than that!" "Gimme a buck", he
repeated Our Toyota was full and my pockets were empty when I left Chuck's
home. I sold most of the stuff during what used to be the wild west days of
Ebay. I made over $100,000 in a year.

I found out later that Chuck knew he had prostate cancer and didn't have long
to live. He wanted his posters to go to someone he liked and who appreciated
them as an art form. He was tired of dealing with "pinhole counters" (his
wonderful expression) through Movie Collector's World. I called to thank him
for his incredible generosity but...he was already gone. It broke my heart.
Greg Douglass

PS: Chuck called me one night. "Get over here NOW!", he yelled. I zipped over
and there, laid out on his living room floor, was the six-sheet from the 1925
"Phantom of the Opera" (the masque scene). He had someone coming over to buy
it. The buyer bitched like crazy over the "outrageous" selling price of $2,000.
It remains one of the coolest things I've ever witnessed. Chuck and his wife
Hazel were the greatest.