You have to play them in a sealed VHS player.
Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 3, 2024, at 3:49 PM, Alan Heimann <alanheim...@gmail.com> wrote:

Aren’t VHS tapes magnetic ? Won’t they degrade over time ? Or is it that these sealed copies have value no matter?

On Wed, Jan 3, 2024 at 6:37 PM Michael Greenwood <newswan...@hotmail.com> wrote:
Hi Folks

I don't think this is a strictly new trend either as I met a guy from Rochester while attending a Toronto concert around 2016 and he and his companion were avid collectors of VHS tapes back then and I was surprised at some prices he quoted at that time. That was the first time I had heard of it. He was also pretty crazy for movie posters but there was a growing cult of collectors for this stuff even ten years ago.

From: MoPo List <mopo-l@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU> on behalf of peter contarino <mpexchangeu...@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 3, 2024 5:20 PM
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU <MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU>

Subject: Re: [MOPO] Grading VHS Tapes

Scott the reason some people are buying these is because heritage is “creating” a market for them.
And people are stupid.

On Wednesday, January 3, 2024, Scott Burns <sbu...@columbus.rr.com> wrote:

Surely not *all* VHS tapes are gaining in value.

If that’s really true perhaps it’s time for me to rethink my plan to give them away to some youngster in a VHS Facebook group rather than sitting them out with the trash. I have boxes of the blasted things, including those that belonged to my parents. Plus boxes of home-recorded VHS tapes dating back to the very early 1980’s. And let’s not even mention the boxes of Laserdiscs and LP’s…with a few cassettes and 45’s, too. (Sorry no 8-tracks! 😊)

I can’t imagine why anyone would want old lousy picture quality VHS tapes. Even harder to imagine is someone shelling out much cash for them. There really is a sucker born….well you know the rest.

Scott