Hi , Horse, Personally i think that Hawking is pointing out towards the
given Fact that  "the philosophers" and Philosophy for these
moments in time are hiding real well, times have changed for the last 30
years, and people of great importance like Francis F
Coppola, Steven Spielberg, other great cineasts need to beg for money from
the banks to get funded in the creative proces.
Same goes for Authors , Pirsig(guggenheim) to stay alive and be creative.
The marketingboys of these entity's are imported in the model at the same
time.and they always have the right of the final cut.
What Hawking is doeing is stirring some controverse's to get maximum media
attention for launching his commercials.
Dawkins uses the same formula, and others , it's a clausule embedded within
the product.
They act as fundraisers for science-budgettes, and they do not even bother
with it.

Not attached to this , but interwoven, Hawking is cutting edge, mainstream
science and the complete scientifical world
is holding his breath when he speaks or presentes a new model, like his
interpretations of the many worlds possibility.
On his work on Black holes , he is truly very near to the Nobelprize.But
sadly it is true that lhc is limping behind.
The possibility that it will be a Nobel-posthume eventually, is not
unthinkable.

The biggest controverse  Hawking always is stirring, is the ruling out of
the possibility of the presence of a creator in his models,
sometimes he tunes back a little bit ,going full throttle at other moments.
This is the main concern of the creationists, That Hawking will discover the
always dynamical model of the universe, no place for a creator.
He is literally saying, "what place for a creator, this will give us a
halted universe, nothing to discover anymore."

This is about the mainstream idea he is launching--, he has no intention
what so ever to release the throttle, just to pleasure
the creationists.
He is very well aware of the fact that some are still denying fossils,
science, evolution, or are calling evolution one of god's instruments.

So this is the main cause of the controverse.

Now in regard of the question he launches about where are the great
Philosophers nowedays?
My opinion?-
where are they , since Pirsig?,i cannot show or produce them, they seem
dissapeared, adopted by marketingstatistics.
Been reading some GG Marguez, in regard of his Nobelprise long ago, as an
attempt to find some hidden philosophy, i did not found it
in his work, he is very dissapointing.
I repeat , where are they? what are the developments since Pirsig?....i do
not think that Hawking is completely wrong.

Your proposal, Horse , is better than Hawking's stampede, he should know
better, trying to be complementary.
There is however no need to be surprised when Hawking or Dawkins will chance
course next week or at the moment of one of their new
publications.This depends on the marketingmodels.

The best option for Hawking is to stick at what he is good in, nl, black
holes and the multiple worlds interpretation,the informationparadox.He is
unbeatable at his field(s). As philosopher he does not exist.

Adrie

parser