[Dan]
I have a a few questions. Does academic schooling tend to breed out creativity
in students?

[Arlo]
This is (as I see it) actually two separate questions. (1) Does the current
model of education in practice in most schools breed out creativity in
students? and (2) Does academic schooling 'ipso facto' breed out creativity in
students?

That is, is 'schooling' itself the issue, or is it the 'way we school'? IMHO,
the answer to the first is most assuredly "yes", and study after study shows
this to be case. This is starting to change, mostly because post-industrial
economies require original/creative thinking whereas industrial economies (on
which our current educational model still follows) not only de-emphasized
creativity and critical thinking but deliberately and actively moved to squelch
them.

My answer to the second is "no", schooling (or learning, or instruction, or
education) is not anti-creativity. Bourdieu has suggested that all forms of
'enculturation' were a form of symbolic violence. But, of course, enculturation
was also necessary for agency. The extreme idea of a lone person who matures in
isolation on a desert island may not have any forms of symbolic violence
exerted against her/him, but will have very little agency to act in the world.

You give a child a toy car, you've just coerced them (enculturated them) into
seeing the world a certain way.

The key to this (again, IMHO) is the shift Pirsig made (as an instructor). He
didn't abolish the teaching of rhetorical 'structure' (outlines, authoritative
references, footnotes, etc.) but taught these structures as ways of increasing
learner agency in their writing. In this light, what we need is not to abolish
the teaching of structure, but to contain that in a larger system where these
structures can be evaluated as to how good they serve an intended purpose.

[Dan]
Arlo's talk of accessing the student's development and moving it along seems to
indicate there are pre-designated parameters at work. Are these parameters
based upon the individual students or are they cookie-cutter style textbook
learning exercises designed to mimic rather than open new vistas?

[Arlo]
Of course there are 'pre-designated' parameters, education presupposes that at
point A there is something a person can not do, you have the educational
intervention, and then at point B they can do it. The instructor should know
what is necessary to make this transition and help the student take the steps
they need to bridge this gap. A skilled guitar instructor will see what you can
do, where you struggle, and keep your activities oriented to keep challenging
you, build upon what you know, and offer strategies for overcoming
deficiencies.

Of course I'm not suggesting a "cookie-cutter style", that is exactly the
opposite of why Vygotsky described the ZPD. I've actually used Pirsig's example
of the student writing about the brick as an example of a ZPD intervention.
Pirsig (the 'expert') was able to determine where the student (the 'novice')
was, and suggest specific opportunities for her to grow (between stagnating and
failing). He was able to help her find that specific point where she had the
prior knowledge but could extend her knowledge into doing something  she
previously could not do.

[Dan]
Can creativity be taught? Or is the foundation of learning rooted in a kind of
monkey-see monkey-do?

[Arlo]
This question presupposes creativity is either innate or learned. I tend to see
it interwoven between these two 'poles'. Maybe something like the capacity for
creativity is innate, but the ability to create is learned. And, I'd argue that
this ability to create (agency) is inherently tied to the appropriation of
structure (whether learned formally or informally, structured education or
trial-and-error learning).