Hi all,

I just stumbled across this discussion a bit too late, so I am joining
the party after everybody has left.

> If the semilandmarks slide a lot relative to the local curvature, they
> get off the curve. Of course, they can be projected back, but the
> following trick often is sufficient: Instead of the full amount of
> sliding, let all the semilandmarks slide just a fraction of the
> computed distance, say 20% (multiply T by 0.2 in equation of 4 of Gunz
> et al. 2005). Then update the tangents and let the semilandmarks slide
> again a fraction of the computed distance, etc. This requires more
> iterations but keeps the semilandmarks closer to the curve or surface.

As Philipp wrote, this can really make the difference for problematic
cases (and especially when minimizing ProcD: even with reprojection,
this can lead to distorted shapes if the coordinates have slid away on
the tangent planes to find a minimum)

For those who want to test the effect: In Morpho::slider3d you can
control this dampening by specifying stepsize (e.g. to 0.2 according to
Philipps example).

Best
Stefan