Dean and Andrea,

 I wanted to follow up on what Dean wrote regarding using residuals from a
pooled within-group regression, and what I think may be important
discussion that follows from it. Considerable research has gone into
investigating this issue, and as Dean points out, most of the time it is
best to include the additional predictor (let's just use centroid size) in
the model and fit it with the  shape ~ group + size + group:size term.
Indeed, I think we could all find 10-15 different papers (each) that
discuss this issue (and a few of them pertaining to geometric
morphometrics).

However, there are some common cases in geometric morphometrics that I
think many of us deal with, and at least to my mind we do not have a very
satisfactory guide to deal with some of them. Let's imagine a case that I
think is particularly common in geometric morphometric studies, where we
are examining sexual shape dimorphism, where we have sex as a categorical
predictor as well as centroid size.

So we might start with the model
shape ~ sex + size + sex:size

Geometric morphometric analyses are pretty sensitive, and at least with
some systems (like fly wings) sample sizes tend to be relatively high.
Frequently I have observed that the evidence is not consistent (based on
Null Hypothesis Statistical Testing, NHST) with a common allometric
relationship between the two sexes. Indeed since NHST (and assessment of
significance) is in part a function on sample size, with large enough N,
this term will be significant (even if the magnitude of effect is very
small).

 Thus (as Dean has already clearly laid out) it may be unreasonable to use
a pooled within-group regression and use the residuals (so that you can
separate out allometric from non-allometric components of sexual shape
dimorphism for instance).

However, if you go ahead and examine the vector correlations/angle between
the slopes (shape ~ size) across sexes you will observe that the vector
correlation is  ~1 (angle is  ~0). Similarly the partial coefficient of
determination (r^2) for the size:sex term is quite small relative to the
partial r^2 for the marginal contributions of size and sex. Thus despite
the NHST suggesting a lack of a common allometric relationship, this
"deeper" examination suggests the slopes are very similar.

So what do you do (again if you want to partition the allometric and
non-allometric components of shape variation)? if the vector correlation is
0.99 do you decide they are effectively the same and proceed with pooled
within-group regression to extract residuals? How about if the VC is 0.95?
0.9? At what point do you risk causing substantial inferential problems?

Or do you alternatively not try to use a pooled within-group regression at
all, and instead just predict shapes for males or females at particular
centroid sizes given the full model (sex + size + sex:size), so you can get
a sense of the extent of sexual shape dimorphism for comparable sizes (or
whatever your goals might be).

While I do not expect any hard and fast rules, I am wondering if anyone has
done the relevant simulations to look at when the former (residuals from
pooled within-group regression) becomes substantially problematic (in terms
of magnitude of the sex:size interaction term).

While I can quibble and be a pedant (who among us GMers are not!), I think
the paper by Nelly, Michel and Chris is very useful (but does not get into
the issue about when using residuals from pooled regression is problematic).

N. A. Gidaszewski, M. Baylac, and C. P. Klingenberg, “Evolution of sexual
dimorphism of wing shape in the Drosophila melanogaster subgroup.,” *BMC
Evol Biol*, vol. 9, p. 110, 2009.

I hope this leads to useful discussion!

Cheers

Ian