Dear Lawrence,
I think I had a similar issue and for me it was because of the format of the grouping factors. I did as suggested by Mike and create a geomorph data frame first, but in the same time I had to transform my vectors into factors based on character vectors.
Maybe you can try the following code:
gdf <- geomorph.data.frame(data=data, age=as.factor(as.character(classifier$age )), species=as.factor(as.character(classifier$species)))
TA <- trajectory.analysis(data ~ age*species, data=gdf)
Have a nice day
Allowen