Hello everyone,

I am new in the field of geometric morphometrics and have a question for my
bachelor thesis.

I am not sure how many landmarks I should use at most in regard to the sample
size. I have a sample of about 22 individuals per population or maybe a bit
less (using sternum and epigyne of spiders) with 5 populations.
I have read a paper in which they use 18 landmarks with an even lower sample
size (3 populations with 20 individuals, 1 with 10). But I have also heard that
I should use twice as much individuals per population as land marks...

Maybe there is some mathematical formula for it to know if it would be
statistically significant? Could you recommend some paper?

Because of the symmetry of the epigyne I am now thinking of using just one half
of it for setting landmarks (so I get 5 instead of 9 landmarks). For the
sternum I thought about 7 or 9 landmarks, so at most I would also get 18
landmarks like in the paper.

I would also like to use two type specimens in the analysis, but I have just
this one individual per population... would it be totally nonesens in a
statistical point of view?

Thanks very much for your help!

Best regards
Lea