<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-dJzV3D6sD1Y/WgmmzPjuv-I/AAAAAAAAAYU/KfC1DQwJq_QJSI75xLosZeCANTdYjN-3QCLcBGAs/s1600/02_Morpheus_JOGL.png>

I am not sure if this will be of much direct help to morphometricians, but
I hope it will eventually benefit the morphometrics community.

We have just posted for download a new, open-source program, Morpheus_JOGL,
providing examples of OpenGL Shading Language graphics programming in Java
(via the JOGL binding).

The program and all related files (documentation, source, data, etc.) can
be downloaded from: http://morphlab.sc.fsu.edu/software/misc/index.html

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-dJzV3D6sD1Y/WgmmzPjuv-I/AAAAAAAAAYU/KfC1DQwJq_QJSI75xLosZeCANTdYjN-3QCLcBGAs/s1600/02_Morpheus_JOGL.png>

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-dJzV3D6sD1Y/WgmmzPjuv-I/AAAAAAAAAYU/KfC1DQwJq_QJSI75xLosZeCANTdYjN-3QCLcBGAs/s1600/02_Morpheus_JOGL.png>

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-dJzV3D6sD1Y/WgmmzPjuv-I/AAAAAAAAAYU/KfC1DQwJq_QJSI75xLosZeCANTdYjN-3QCLcBGAs/s1600/02_Morpheus_JOGL.png>

Detelina Stoyanova had written a wonderful JOGL/GLSL library for me to
incorporate into Morpheus et al., but actually integrating that into the
code required more technical expertise than I possessed. So, I needed to
actually teach myself GLSL programming, which is non-trivial. I was
frustrated, too, with other example programs that either were in C/C++, and
did not deal with the few JOGL-specific things necessary to get started, or
seemed to show off too many features and fancy techniques of which one
could take advantage. I wanted basic instruction. So, I wrote Morpheus_JOGL.

Morpheus_JOGL builds on Morpheus_eProbe by adding a series of dialogs. Each
dialog inherits capabilities from those preceding it and adds but one or
two new, basic features. The general inheritance sequence is:

- set up and draw white triangle on black background
- add color
- add animation
- adjust for window aspect
- create more complex geometry (cube) from triangles
- perspective and orthogonal projection
- add ambient, diffuse, and specular lighting
- complex, external geometry (skull)
- text (drawing text is not part of the GLSL specification or usual
discussion)
- mouse control
* here, the dialog inheritance trifurcates
    (branch 1)
    - multiple, random points (trivial fiddling with the drawing mode)
    - multiple, random line segments (more fiddling)
    (branch 2)
    - multiple, random spheres (actual multiple geometries)
    - multiple, random rods (non-trivial positioning and orientation)
    (branch 3)
    - mapping images as textures.

There are a number of "Hot keys" that allow for various features and modes
to be changed or turned off.

In addition to the program, there is a short User's Guide, but most
documentation is provided through the included program JavaDoc, extensive
source-code comments, and long, explicit variable names.

Let me know if you have any problems - contact info and formatting is
described in the User's Guide.

Otherwise, if this sort of thing is your cup of tea, enjoy!

-ds