In my experience rgl tends to be slow with meshes with high number of vertices.
You may want to do your data collection outside of R using programs optimized
for handling high-resolution meshes, such as MeshLab or 3D Slicer, save your
coordinates as a text file and import them into R.

From: Phillip Skipwith [mailto:pskipw...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, December 15, 2017 8:37 AM
To: MORPHMET <morphmet@morphometrics.org>
Subject: [MORPHMET] Issue with digit.fixed on 3D mesh geomorph

Hi Everyone,

First: I apologize if this is a double posting.

I'm new to 3D geometric morphometrics, so this issue might turn out to be a
trivial one with an easy fix. At the moment I'm trying to place landmarks on
ply meshs (120 - 150k vertices) in geomorph using the digit.fixed function.
However, when I set a landmark on a vertex of interest, the point does not
attach to the correct spot. Rather, it vanishes somewhere deeper in the mesh.
Increasing ptsize to something well above 3 helps a little, but not much. I
realize that the help files use meshes below 30k vertices, but I lose a lot of
information when I go that low. Has anyone else had this issue? Is it possible
to select faces instead of vertices in geomorph (seems unlikely)?
I wondering if there was some special way of exporting ply files from Meshlab
that I'm missing. At the moment I simplify my high resolution mesh with
quadratic decimation, and then export the ASCII ply directly from Meshlab
without fiddling with the settings. Is this right?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Skip
morphmet+unsubscr...@morphometrics.org<mailto:morphmet+unsubscr...@morphometrics.org>.