Dear all,
I just learned that our resource allocation request on the NSF's XSEDE HPC
infrastructure to create a science gateway for 3D quantitative phenotyping is
approved. When implemented, this will be a cloud platform where registered
users can upload their imaging datasets and use the provided R and associated
mesh/image analysis on the virtual HPC cluster. In addition, we will also make
the ANTs diffeomorphic deformable image registration library and its R package
available on this gateway. Provided tools will enable generation of a
population template from a set of volumetric images [1-2]. Average anatomical
templates (or atlases) provide a least-biased coordinate system to study
structure-function relationships [3]. They operate as a reference frame for
understanding the variation in anatomy, and as a probabilistic space into which
structural features are mapped. In more practical terms, templates can aid in
the automated or semi-automated segmentation of complex morphology [4], or
landmarking [5-6].  Our goals is to facilitate morphometric analysis of large
structural datasets using open standards and analytical pipeline.
I expect the gateway in its rough form will be available by fall of this year.
This year we have enough allocations to process about ~1000 medium resolution
(i.e. 512^3 voxels or less) dataset. If you are interested, please get in touch
with me at m...@uw.edu<mailto:m...@uw.edu>. I am particularly interested in
hearing from developmental biologist or people working on model organisms.
[1] For volumetric dataset https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28656622
[2] For mesh based dataset https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29080945
[3] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15501083
[4] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24850858