Yes, the PC axes are “comparable”. I think the best way to think about what a
PCA does is to interpret it as a projection of a multidimensional space down to
a low dimensional space that captures as much of the overall variation as
possible. The first axis is somewhat special because it represents the best
1-dimensional space. Past that one should think of 1 and 2 giving the best
2-dimensional space and 1, 2, and 3 giving the best 3-dimensional space, etc.
The axes themselves are not of a priori interest in an application – it is the
space that is of interest. A consequence is that plots showing projections of
points relative to PC1, PC2,etc. must be plotted to the same scale (i.e.,
consistent with the fact that the eigenvalues give the variances along each
axis). If, as unfortunately often the case, the axes are plotted using
different scales then the space has been distorted and is no longer the space
that best accounts for the overall variation in the data. That also distorts
the impressions one gets in looking at the plot as using different scales
changes the relative distances between points.

Within that reduced space one may find that particular axes can seem to be
interpretable but one should really look at the space and decide which
directions within the space are most interesting based on the patterns of the
data. That is, the data need to suggest interesting direction unless one has
some a priori groups one wishes to compares. Often the first PC is of special
interest but that is often due to allometry and the relatively large impact of
size variation. That is, by now, a rather boring result! The individual PC axes
are defined based on convenient mathematical properties – not based on any
biological models so each one should not be considered separately as things of
special interest.

The above also means that one need not just visualize variation along each axis
separately. One can, as in tpsRelw software, visualize any specified point
within the PC space or in any direction of interest within the PC space.

F. James Rohlf, Distinguished Prof. Emeritus

Depts. of Anthropology and of Ecology & Evolution