I'd like to respond to your question because it comes up so often.

As noted by Carmelo in the other posting, a large number of variables
relative to the number of cases can lead to statistical problems. But often
it does not.

In all analyses that treat each variable separately - including the
computation of mean shapes and shape regressions - the number of variables
does NOT matter! Also in principal component analysis (PCA) and
between-group PCA there is NO restriction on the number of variables.
However, the distribution of landmarks across the organism can influence
the results. E.g., if one part - say the face - is covered only by a few
anatomical landmarks, and another part - e.g., the neurocranium - by many
semilandmarks, the latter one will dominate PCA results. But this holds
true for all kinds of landmarks and variables, not only for semilandmarks.

Analyses that involve the inversion of a covariance matrix - such as
multiple regression, CVA, relative eigenanalysis, reduced rank regression,
and parametric multivariate tests - require a clear excess of cases over
variables. In any truly multivariate setting (such as geometric
morphometrics), these analyses - if unavoidable - should ALWAYS be preceded
by some sort of variable reduction and/or factor analysis. Again, this is
not specific to semilandmarks.

Partial least squares (PLS) is somewhat in-between these to groups. As
shown in Bookstein's 2016 paper, the singular values (maximal covariances)
in PLS can be strongly inflated if the number of variables is large
compared to the number of cases. The singular vectors, however, are more
stable.

Essentially, the number of semilandmarks should be determined based on the
anatomical details to be captured. More semilandmarks are not "harmful,"
perhaps just a waste of time.

Best,

Philipp Mitteroecker