Are those 2D or 3D landmarks? The tps programs are mostly for just 2D
landmarks (tpsSmall is the exception). The reason the tps programs do
not specify the maximum numbers of landmarks and specimens is that
dynamic memory allocation methods are used so there is no fixed limit -
other than available memory and time. I have never tried anything like
4k subjects so I do not know how well the tps programs will do with such
large datasets.

If these are human data sets then I suspect that the variation in shape
is so small that one only needs to obtain an approximation to the
overall consensus configuration in order to obtain aligned
configurations suitable for statistical analyses. You could probably
just do a GPA on a random subject of subjectsand then align all
subjectsto this consensus. That implies much less computation than a
full GPA of 4k subjects.

I suspect that the morpheus software will be much better at handling
such large data sets than the tps programs.

The tps programs cannot align point clouds or polygonal meshes.

The programs are free so you can just try them. Can't you download them
at home and try them to see how they work for your type of data? You
will then be better able to decide which programs are worth the effort
of getting special permission.

F. James Rohlf
State University of New York, Stony Brook, NY 11794-5245
www: http://life.bio.sunysb.edu/ee/rohlf

==