[Moderator's note: For unknown technical reasons (or, perhaps, moderator
incompetence), this message never made it to the list yesterday. This
problem is compounded by the fact that a follow-up to this message by
Rohlf WAS posted earlier this morning. I apologize and hope most of you
aren't too terribly confused this situation. -ds]

I enjoyed seeing morphmet suddenly come to life! Sorry I was not able to
comment earlier about MANOVA, permutation tests, etc. (I was busy
preparing for a seminar).

I agree with a lot of what has been said but I will try making a few
points in my own words.

1) I agree with Fred that one has to be very skeptical about analyses
that involve maximizing ratios of variances. The problems are well-known
for multiple regression. Less well-known is that one can view MANOVA as
just a special case. If one is not careful computations can blow-up and
interpretations may not be very straight-forward when the tests are not
close to being orthogonal.

2) There is a very important distinction to be made between the
relations one sees in statistical spaces (such as CVA ordinations)
versus those in shape spaces (the tangent space in practice). Distances
in the CVA space are generalized distances that measure the amount of
difference between two points relative to the amount of within-group
variation in that direction. Procrustes distance measures just the
amount of difference. Generalized distances are designed to measure the
extent one can expect to distinguish members of the two populations.
Procrustes distances tell how different they look. They give you
fundamentally different answers: does one have evidence that the
difference is greater than zero versus the question of the amount of
shape difference. To know which to use requires a decision about the
question you are asking. Fred's strategy gives priority to the
possibility of biological meaning - it is difficult to criticize that!
One the other hand, some times one does want to distinguish two
populations even if the differences are very minor in the traits you are
studying.

3) A statistical test for a difference in means is usually a test of
whether two samples are consistent with having been drawn from the same
population versus their having been drawn from populations displaced by
having different means. It is close to the question of ability to
discriminate. With the usual assumptions, MANOVA etc. seem appropriate.
Of course, lots can go wrong - especially the assumption of homogeneity
of covariance matrices. For some sets of data one may be able to make
even more stringent assumptions (isotropic errors such as in Goodall's
test).

3) Regarding shape visualizations, one can transform points in tangent
space into points in a CVA space and then apply the inverse
transformation to get back to the original tangent space so I don't
think visualization of shapes should be an issue. At present, it is not
a standard option in my software - but now that more people are
developing morphometric software that problem will probably be quickly
solved.

Jim

F. James Rohlf
State University of New York, Stony Brook, NY 11794-5245
www: http://life.bio.sunysb.edu/ee/rohlf
==
Replies will be sent to list.
For more information see http://life.bio.sunysb.edu/morph/morphmet.html.