I use Daily Five in my fourth grade class.  I don't do it completely as
the book suggests but I do use all parts of it.  This is my first year
using it and I have found lots of things I am going to change and tweek
next year.

We switch classes.  I teach Reading and there is another teacher that
teaches Writing.  I teach and we do small group activities for 45 minutes
and then spend 30 minutes doing Daily Five each day.  It actually turns
into a Weekly Five.  Their choices are:  Read To Self, Listen To Reading,
Read With a Partner, Word Work, and EOG Practice (in the place of the
writing piece).  This EOG Practice choice is my answer to test prep taking
up so much class time.

Daily Five is my saving grace!  SSR was not working for me and we are
required to do 30 minutes of SSR each day.  Every teacher in my school
will tell you that SSR is a time when the kids perfect their fake reading.
 I was so not satisfied with this and decided to implement Daily Five this
year.  It has helped so much!  Now those resistant readers who had
mastered the fake reading have other options.  So for 30 minutes every
day, every single one of my students is engaged in a reading activity
while I have time to do conferences, running records, or interventions.

mosaic@literacyworkshop.org writes:
>Has anyone used Daily Five in upper elementary or middle school.   Middle
>school ELA tends to be an "English" class, literature based, with writing
>
>woven in.  I feel that the kids need to be reading their independent
>books
>more and maybe a Daily Five format would address that missing element.
>
>Any thoughts?

Angela Hatley Almond, NBCT
Fourth Grade
East Albemarle Elementary School